ASM to Sega Genesis Platform

All about assembly programming in the Sega Genesis console.


    Planet Sonic

    Share

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:23 pm

    (First, I want to say I'm using a secondary computer while having limited internet connection so I may not reply as fast as I usually do)

    Well, what exactly is Planet Sonic (PS)? It's a new forum to discuss the blue anthropodermic hedgehog, that's right!

    However, as I was uploading the files to the server, I was thinking about it as an alternative to the two main Sonic forums out there (Btw, you know which ones)

    I think we can bulid a 'fun & mature' community without the need of being harsh to newbies just because they know nothing about programming, how can you help someone if you just bash them to no-end? That way the 'newbie' will just get frustrated and won't help at all. Obviously, we also won't allow the newbies to abuse this.

    As the 'boss' of the place, I don't think it's really necessary to be harsh and arrogant to my own users just because I'm in an upper position to them, this also applies to the moderators and staffers.

    I also don't think an "authority figure" is in an upper position to the regular user, we are all equal. As the 'boss', I'm also willing to allow the criticism at my administration and my staff team, which is something prohibited in some other places because "his a staf memver yu habe to respec jim" Laughing Laughing

    I'm by no means saying I'm gonna compete with the two most famous Sonic boards out there. I also like them despite disagreeing with them on many ways. I also DO realize it's impossible to compete with them. However, I think it could be nice to have an alternative like this one, and for those who want a new, fresh start, may like to try at PS.

    http://planetsonic.co.nf/
    avatar
    Electroball_

    Mensagens : 1595
    Data de inscrição : 2013-11-26
    Localização : Antarctic Ocean
    Current Project : Finding a better way to spend free time

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Electroball_ on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:00 pm

    Here we go again...
    >Two days later: Forum Closed.

    I'm sorry about that^. Gl with your forum anyway.
    avatar
    UburL33tUzerNam

    Mensagens : 810
    Data de inscrição : 2013-08-08
    Localização : Somewhere
    Current Project : Things

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  UburL33tUzerNam on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:19 pm

    Ezze wrote:Planet Sonic

    (That was the first Google Images result btw

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 pm

    Electroball_ wrote:Here we go again...
    >Two days later: Forum Closed.

    I'm sorry about that^. Gl with your forum anyway.

    Yeah, I knew I would receive a response like yours. I've lost all my credibility with the forums I had in the past, it won't happen this time, however, I promise.

    Previous forums I used to own just had the goal of gaining members, nothing else, and back then I loved to change between one software or another, today I do not. Today I think what I used to do back then it's ridiculous because that way the forum will never gain popularity.

    My goal with PS is to be an alternative to those who feel frustrated or rejected by the big communities, then if they want, try again at the big communities. It will be a nice place to those who want a new start.

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 pm

    Electroball_ wrote:Here we go again...
    >Two days later: Forum Closed.

    I'm sorry about that^. Gl with your forum anyway.

    Do you think I had written all this to just close it down for no reason? Fucking no! If I was going to just close it down like I used to do, I wouldn't have even thought about advertising it here.

    Anyway, it's your decision to believe me or not, if you do not, fine.

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 pm

    Electroball, if you want you can look back some months ago, I had that crappy forum named "Sonyc" which was up for almost two months before I decided to close it down because it was a real crap. It didn't have a good domain, design, host, even the name was horrible, so I decided to close it down but it lasted more than two days as you claim, I was even thinking about handing in the administration because of the members I had.

    You can say that about the forums I used to open-and-close back in 2013, but not in the present day, not really.
    avatar
    Electroball_

    Mensagens : 1595
    Data de inscrição : 2013-11-26
    Localização : Antarctic Ocean
    Current Project : Finding a better way to spend free time

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Electroball_ on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:11 pm

    Alright..

    Ezequiel Matias wrote:Yeah, I knew I would receive a response like yours. I've lost all my credibility with the forums I had in the past, it won't happen this time, however, I promise. 


    we'll see that.


    Ezequiel Matias wrote:Previous forums I used to own just had the goal of gaining members, nothing else, and back then I loved to change between one software or another, today I do not. Today I think what I used to do back then it's ridiculous because that way the forum will never gain popularity.

    you should've given it some time. IT does take a while to get members and popularity, and this is why you should have closed your last forum. you have to start over. as for forum softwares, i don't know. just use what you like the most.

    Ezequiel Matias wrote:Do you think I had written all this to just close it down for no reason? Fucking no! If I was going to just close it down like I used to do, I wouldn't have even thought about advertising it here. 

    Anyway, it's your decision to believe me or not, if you do not, fine.


    I don't see the point in advertising here. this site is pretty much.. dead.


    Ezequiel Matias wrote:Electroball, if you want you can look back some months ago, I had that crappy forum named "Sonyc" which was up for almost two months before I decided to close it down because it was a real crap. It didn't have a good domain, design, host, even the name was horrible, so I decided to close it down but it lasted more than two days as you claim, I was even thinking about handing in the administration because of the members I had. 


    what really made it "crap"? you aren't going to get much for using a free forum maker... plus the design/logo doesn't really matter that much, neither does the name. If i were you, i would have kept it up so (as i said before) i wouldn't have to start over.
    avatar
    Electroball_

    Mensagens : 1595
    Data de inscrição : 2013-11-26
    Localização : Antarctic Ocean
    Current Project : Finding a better way to spend free time

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Electroball_ on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:12 pm




    Ezequiel Matias wrote:Previous forums I used to own just had the goal of gaining members, nothing else, and back then I loved to change between one software or another, today I do not. Today I think what I used to do back then it's ridiculous because that way the forum will never gain popularity.

    you should've given it some time. IT does take a while to get members and popularity, and this is why you shouldn't* have closed your last forum. you have to start over. as for forum softwares, i don't know. just use what you like the most.
    I can't type
    avatar
    SonicVaan

    Mensagens : 90735
    Data de inscrição : 2013-07-25
    Localização : #sgd
    Current Project : http://www.sonicgamesdimension.net/

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  SonicVaan on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:34 pm

    I like the enthusiasm and idea, but... there are quite some problems though.

    Before I get to the bad stuff, yeah, promoting it here won't do much as we're the only people being "active" on this site. I'd suggest putting a link in the forum signature of SSRG, Retro, whatever so when you post it may get a bit of attention. What else helps are splash screens with the link of the forum shown on it and enter it for example to the next Hacking Contest. This usually works the best, but you shouldn't shut down the forum after a while. But if you choose to do so, I'd make the link a redirection link to the new forum, so when people type in the splash screen link they will get redirected to the new site instead.

    Now on to the bad stuff. As you may have noticed, the Sonic ROM hacking community isn't as active as it used to be. It's mostly because my generation of users got really busy with adult life (yeah adult life sucks, so enjoy your time while it lasts, really). And of course most people in your generation probably grew up in the PlayStation 2 era - or late PS1 for that matter. Most of them didn't grow up with Sonic; or any of the older consoles. Most of the people that were active for example in 2008-2010 have completely vanished and I feel it kinda went down since 2012. I remember being on a german Sonic forum in 2007-2008 and holy fuck at that time there was a huge following. Nowadays? I'm still friends with a few people I know from back then but they moved on aswell. If I Google for german Sonic forums I only find dead ones from the last 10 years.

    You see, I don't want to discourage you but if that's what you really want, then go on. But I can say that new and unestablished forums will not work anymore, there are already the huge go-to forums and it's already too late trying to establish something new in this area nowadays. I can suggest you opening a forum with a different topic, or something that even we here enjoy. Something for everyone. Games, music, lifestyle, wrestling, etc. The ideas are endless.

    If you want to open up a new forum, don't do it with a free host. Paid hosting is the way to go and it usually doen't cost much (at least here in Germany). If you want something that'll stay up for a long time, Forummotion should just work. It just depends on if you want to throw in some money or not. You can promote forums on other forums like http://forumpromotion.net/.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:34 pm

    Electroball wrote:you should've given it some time. IT does take a while to get members and popularity, and this is why you should have closed your last forum. you have to start over. as for forum softwares, i don't know. just use what you like the most
    .

    You are partially right. However, I had that vision of just gaining members back two years ago, not now. Nowadays I'm even thinking of letting guests post, but I don't think I'm gonna allow that anytime soon.

    I closed it down because I was having trouble with the domain, pointing the nameservers to "cu.cc" in CreateAForum was a pain. I recall waiting 48 hs to get my "Sonyc.cu.cc" domain to work, it didn't, and my whole site went down as, even though the forum software said it was all ready, it really wasn't. I don't know how I managed to go back to the "Sonyc.createaforum.com" subdomain, but that wasn't the only problem.

    When you log off a CreateAForum message board, you may do this at the cost of either never getting to access the forum again, or never getting to access your profile account again as it will show "incorrect password" error even though if it wasn't incorrect.

    The CreateAForum servers are also very slow, and the site may go down thanks to this.

    Electroball wrote:I don't see the point in advertising here. this site is pretty much.. dead

    You are completely right there, that's a good point. However, I still do advertise it here as some people still enter, even though if it isn't much, it's something at the very least.

    Electroball wrote:what really made it "crap"? you aren't going to get much for using a free forum maker... plus the design/logo doesn't really matter that much, neither does the name. If i were you, i would have kept it up so (as i said before) i wouldn't have to start over

    Yes, again, you are partially right, but just look at all the trouble I had to come by: Slow servers, DNS problems, domain problems, bugged registering and log in/log off system. You can't just run a forum with all these problems on mind, and it's just makes it worse to know the guy who runs "CreateAForum" is an incompetent mindblown moron...

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:24 pm

    SonicVaan wrote:Before I get to the bad stuff, yeah, promoting it here won't do much as we're the only people being "active" on this site
    .

    Yes I know, this site is dead but, as I said before, some people do still enter here, so it's something at the very least.

    SonicVaan wrote:I'd suggest putting a link in the forum signature of SSRG, Retro, whatever so when you post it may get a bit of attention

    Honestly, that's the only method that has worked for me so far. I got up to 6 members in the "Sonyc" forum, when promoting it through the forum signature.

    SonicVaan wrote:What else helps are splash screens with the link of the forum shown on it and enter it for example to the next Hacking Contest

    That's also a nice method to promote the site. However, I don't think I'll ever enter the Hacking Contest, I'm terrible at ROM-hacking and ASM in general. Back in 2012 and 2013, I really was into learning how to do ASM, how to use the disassemblies, how to edit the palettes without using outdated crap, etc, but nowadays I feel I can't do any ROM-hacking for that matter...

    SonicVaan wrote:As you may have noticed, the Sonic ROM hacking community isn't as active as it used to be

    I personally want to center my new forum more on the Sonic fangaming community, and less on the ROM-hacking community. I've learnt a lot about fangaming all this time, and I feel much more inspired when working on fangames than when ROM-hacking which is a pain, at least for me. I myself also want to focus on fangaming and share my knowledge with the other nice people out there.

    SonicVaan wrote:It's mostly because my generation of users got really busy with adult life (yeah adult life sucks, so enjoy your time while it lasts, really). And of course most people in your generation probably grew up in the PlayStation 2 era - or late PS1 for that matter. Most of them didn't grow up with Sonic; or any of the older consoles. Most of the people that were active for example in 2008-2010 have completely vanished.


    You are completely right there. Sonic's popularity has also somewhat declined in the last few years.

    SonicVaan wrote:You see, I don't want to discourage you but if that's what you really want, then go on. But I can say that new and unestablished forums will not work anymore, there are already the huge go-to forums and it's already too late trying to establish something new in this area nowadays. I can suggest you opening a forum with a different topic, or something that even we here enjoy. Something for everyone. Games, music, lifestyle, wrestling, etc. The ideas are endless.

    Well, I already was thinking up like that even back when I used to open and close forums to no end in 2012/3.

    SonicVaan wrote:If you want to open up a new forum, don't do it with a free host. Paid hosting is the way to go and it usually doen't cost much (at least here in Germany).


    You forgot where I'm from: Argentina. You know, I would love to pay for a host and upload all the files there, knowing I won't have to deal with crap such as slowness and constant ups and downs as with free hosting, but... Here the inflation, sadly won't let me to do so. Something which in your country costs 10 euros, here it costs 10x more. Putting this as an example of how the inflation affects my country.

    SonicVaan wrote:If you want something that'll stay up for a long time, Forummotion should just work. It just depends on if you want to throw in some money or not. You can promote forums on other forums like

    That's a nice alternative as well, but see how this forum has been spammed all this years... You have to take extreme measures to stop the spam in a Forumotion-hosted message board, or else it ends like this...

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:28 pm

    Thank you all for your feedback guys, I appreciate it.
    avatar
    Green Snake

    Mensagens : 2094
    Data de inscrição : 2012-04-07
    Localização : I do not even know
    Current Project : nope

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Green Snake on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:05 pm

    tl;dr boring

    Ezequiel Matias

    Mensagens : 2505
    Data de inscrição : 2013-01-03

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Ezequiel Matias on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 am

    Up until I can afford paid hosting, I'm not gonna continue with this. Period. And yes GS, you are right, this is freaking boring.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Planet Sonic

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 pm